The Otherworld Antique Bookstore is a Life-Risk Chapter 4

 

Chapter 4: Yuki Becomes an Adventurer? (Part 2)

 

The building Bergana ushered me into indeed had an interior resembling a government office. What caught my attention was the number of armed individuals relaxing at corner tables with ales in hand.

It seems my bad feeling was right on the mark.

"Welcome to the Adventurers' Guild. Here for a new registration?" The receptionist greeted me with a smile.

"N-no, that's not it," I stammered, turning to leave, but Bergana firmly gripped my shoulder.

"I don't want this! Why should I, a shop employee, become an adventurer? I can't even consider living day-to-day risking my life. Berga, what are you thinking? If we're going anywhere, it should be the Commerce Guild," I blurted out loudly, then quickly came to my senses.

I could feel the disgruntled stares of the surrounding adventurers. Bergana was scratching her head with an "oops" expression. I'd really done it this time.

"Hey, shorty, don't mock adventurers. It's not just us. Most people in this country live day-to-day, risking their lives. Only the wealthy few can afford to look down on that. Apologize to everyone," a young man from a trio who had just finished their registration at the next counter confronted me. The "shorty" comment irked me as he was about my height. The two girls behind him were glaring at me too.

But this was clearly my fault.

"I'm sorry. This girl is a novice merchant fresh from the countryside. She doesn't know any better," Bergana intervened, stepping between me and the trio.

"Listen, Yuki," she continued, deliberately speaking loud enough for others to hear. "Of course, we'll go to the Commerce Guild next. But to prevent fraud and unfair trades, newly registered merchants at the Commerce Guild are prohibited from trading outside official stores without guild permission until they reach a rank matching their credibility. By the way, the store you'll be working at deals in used books. Where do you think those books come from?"

"A used bookstore? I suppose from individual customers selling books to the shop," I replied.

"Exactly. With just a Commerce Guild registration, you can't buy books. This would be troublesome for the company too. That's why we need an adventurer registration, which allows for personal transactions. This way, you can immediately start trading. Do you understand now?"

"I see, so you're not actually asking me to become an adventurer."

"I should add that dual registration is limited to members of highly credible companies," the guild receptionist chimed in with impeccable timing and a flawless business smile.

"Since Yuki is a new employee of White Trading Company, which has an S-rank credibility, dual registration is possible. Shall we proceed with the paperwork?"

"Y-yes, please," I responded, seeing no other choice given the flow of events.

At the mention of White Trading Company, the surrounding adventurers' attention shifted away from me.

"Brothers, you'd better stop there. This is a newcomer from White Trading Company, the best in the royal capital. In other words, she could be our future employer. It's better to curry favor than pick a fight," an adventurer advised the trio, who now looked embarrassed.

But this commotion was ultimately caused by my words.

"It was due to my lack of knowledge. I'm sorry for saying such terrible things to everyone," I apologized, bowing not just to the trio but to everyone around.

"I went too far too. Sorry about that," the young man replied.

I returned his smile, and he grinned sheepishly.

"I'm Al. These two behind me are Lin and Miri. We're childhood friends from the same hometown."

"I'm Yuki."

"We're definitely going to make it big. When we're famous, give us lots of work, okay?" With that, they walked towards the bulletin board with job postings. Their matching equipment of new short swords and leather armor seemed quite expensive for beginners. They must have saved desperately for today's debut.

My adventurer registration was completed quickly, and I received a card to wear around my neck.

Name: Yuki

Age: 38 years old

Race: Snow Ghoul

Adventurer Rank: KF

The content was very simple, with no status display. KF apparently means F-rank adventurer registered in the Calito Kingdom. But more importantly...

"That's an unusual race. And you're quite old, aren't you?" Bergana commented, peeking at my card. I instinctively covered it.

"Age and race can be hidden if you prefer. Would you like me to process that?" The receptionist offered with an unwavering smile. She's truly a professional.

"Yes, please," I replied.

"Disclosure of hidden information isn't mandatory except in the Empire and Demon Country, but this doesn't apply to criminals, just so you're aware," she added, handing me a new card with age and race hidden.

My previous life's age, which I'd been passing off as "around 40," was exposed. I understand inheriting my age instead of starting over as a baby, but I wish it matched my current 13-15 year old appearance. And what's a Snow Ghoul? I've never heard of such a race in my previous knowledge.

"Next, we're going to the Commerce Guild," Bergana said, leaving the Adventurers' Guild. I hurried after her.

"Good luck, miss! You'll make a fine merchant!" "Cheers to Merchant Yuki!" The adventurers' voices followed us out.

"I thought adventurers would be rougher and more violent, but they seem quite pleasant," I remarked.

"Those who openly frequent such public places tend to be relatively decent. But it's true that most adventurers are ruffians, and they usually lurk in less visible areas," Bergana explained.

Hmm, that's informative.

And so, we headed to the Commerce Guild.


If you like what I do, Please consider donating to my Kofi Page

Join the Discord Here

Comments